5/26/2013

I don't got a name, lady!

And it finally happened. I never thought it would. What, you may ask? Take a look at this video, then read on:
I just finished my first bike ride - and I was at the trail's water fountain getting a drink. My friend had went back to help our other friend catch up. So, I was waiting at the end of the trail alone. My drink was one of refreshing to me savoring the few gulps I took after a hike up the last hill. Just as I finished, I glanced up aspiring my next destination, home. Just on the other side of the street, there he was, the man with no name. He was approaching the water fountain. So, I watched him take his soda bottle and fill it with water. I was a little confused thinking, "Why would he want a half bottle of pop and a half bottle of water?" Then, I decided to ask the question...
"Are you hungry?," I asked.
"No..." he said.
"Oh, you sure?" I asked.
"Yeah," he said.
SILENCE...
"What's your name?" I asked. As I asked, Micah's line wrapped through the crevices of my mind, and with a nanosecond of warning, I knew what words were coming.
"I got no name, lady." he remarked.
I had no response for a good 20 seconds, and by that time he was walking away. Thoughts were running through my head, and I grasped onto one. I remembered that Heidi Baker gave someone a name that had no name. So, I shouted out to him, your name is beloved. I don't know if he heard me, but I know that he was loved by God, and that's all that mattered. As I went home, I needed to watch Micah's poem again. Was the man afraid what I would think if he told me his name? Did he have some regrets? Who was this man without a name? Beloved.

Isaiah 54:10 (MSG)
For even if the mountains walk away and the hills fall to pieces, My love won't walk away from you, my covenant commitment of peace won't fall apart." The God who has compassion on you says so.

Maybe, just maybe, everyone walked away, and there was no use for a name anymore.

1 comment:

LovingKindnessAmy said...

My friend, Austin, has a bridge to a song that goes along the lines of:
You hold me in your right hand, you lead me in your righteousness.
You call me by name, you call me your own.

I wish this guy could hear that song. Then, he would know the One who does call him by name. Jesus is powerful.