5/02/2013

We win, Gracie!

We have all heard the saying, 'Stop and smell the roses.' Do you remember a time you said this to someone you cared about? Do you remember a time this was said to you? If you don't, that's okay.

The phrase's systematic use is to change a persons' perspective on his day/life, not necessarily to offend the party.

On Tuesday, I had the privilege to sit-in on a 2nd year BSSM (Bethel Supernatural School of Ministry) class with Kris Vallotton. After the class, I met with the hero (friend) of my story.

Her name is Olga. After Kris spoke, I met her in the parking lot. She shared with the pain of my unchanging circumstance. She encouraged me that we are not supposed to make life harder, it is already hard enough. During this time in the car, I recollected memories of where I thought I would be in life... and what these memories of the heart surprisingly brought in was JOY in the midst of my pain. 
A scene-by-scene lifespan ran through my head:
One of me smelling roses, one of me running through a wide-open field of grass (Psalm 23), and finally, a scene of Grace (Liz Taylor) in Armageddon hoping against hope. 

For example, if my friend was in a difficult unchanging circumstance, I would say (at some point in the conversation) have you stopped to smell the roses? There is always good to be found despite circumstances. 

There is always rest to be found in the midst difficult circumstances. "Oh Great God, Give us Rest," by David Crowder  Band is a beautiful worship song to bless you. Psalm 23 is my place in God's story, running in open fields, where time and space seem trivial compared to God's vastness and beauty. (Thank you, Larena for this)

In the 1998 movie Armageddon, Harry (Bruce Willis) sacrifices himself for the sake of his daughter's future with A.J. Frost (Ben Affleck) and for the future of the world. In the final scene, A.J. Frost states, "Harry doesn't know how to fail." A.J. demonstrates faith in Harry. Of course, this is like God. The God of the Bible doesn't know how to fail. He never fails us, he is unfailing love (read the Book). Before Harry preses the button to detonate the asteroid that is about to destroy the earth, he states, "We win, Gracie!" Love knows no sacrifice that is "too big." It does not stop at "woah, that hurts way too much to give that part of me away." Love gladly gives the deepest part of it away, without stopping. Scenes of Grace's life pass before her eyes, and the mystery of God is revealed in this scene (2 Corinthians 4). Love always wins. 

God's goodness is ultimately shown when he sacrifices Jesus for the sins of the world to be removed, and for the world to know truly who God is: Our Father. Let his sons and daughters rise. (John 3:16; Romans 8; John 1)



Today, I want to ask you have you stopped to smell the roses? 
What have you done for someone else today? (John 15:13)

No comments: